By description, insomnia is a condition that makes it difficult to fall asleep. Other people suffering from it are usually unable to stay asleep with the slightest noise waking them up. The disorder has become quite common, especially in the Western world, which is what has created the dire need for managing insomnia effectively.
Sleep is very important for anyone who wants to be in top shape the following day. Scientific research also reveals that insomnia can contribute to numerous other health complications such as diabetes, obesity, cancer and heart disease.
What Are the Causes of Insomnia?
To better understand how to effectively manage the situation, it’s significant to establish the causes first. Insomnia can be caused by multiple factors that are usually associated with environmental, psychological and physical conditions.
There are some physical illnesses that cause this sleep disorder such:
- Heart failure
- Lung diseases like chronic asthma
- Digestive system problems like peptic ulcer and heartburn
People with medical conditions and are keen on finding ways of managing insomnia naturally should also be aware of the fact that their conditions can worsen the situation. These conditions include:
- Hot flashes
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sleep apnea
- Leg cramps
Approx 10% of insomnia cases are as a result of substance abuse. People using the following drugs may suffer from the disorder as well:
What Are the Natural Strategies of Managing Insomnia?
In order to manage this condition effectively, it’s significant for the exact cause of the problem to be identified first. This means that a blood test must be conducted for hormone levels to be ascertained. In order to enjoy sleep as before, you’ll be required to restore the hormone levels back to a youthful state.
Modern science has fused herbs and natural ingredients to provide a solution to the predicament. These nutrients are combined with over-the-counter medication for effectiveness. The minerals that facilitate relaxation include:
- Chamomile tea
- Lavender oil
- Lemon balm
Here are tips that will assist you in managing insomnia effectively:
- Avoid taking too much stimulants in the evening. These include: Alcohol, coffee and nicotine. In case you use prescription medication that is bound to act as a stimulant, take the dosage a few hours before going to sleep.
- Don’t nap during daytime. People who have trouble sleeping should stay awake throughout the day in order to enjoy sleep at night. The feeling of exhaustion is what will make you fall asleep quickly.
- Eat smaller meals at diner. When you eat large food portions at night, you give your body extra work in digestion. This means that instead of relaxing, the body will be active.
- Exercise frequently. However, don’t exercise when you’re about to go to bed as this will hinder your efforts of managing insomnia.
- Stress usually keeps people awake at night. To enjoy better sleep, reduce stress by meditating, reading, bathing and listening to music.